Wednesday, October 5, 2011

4 minutes with Anthony Callea

Four Minutes With... Anthony Callea


by: By Cameron Adams
From: National Features


October 06, 2011 12:00AM


CAMERON Adams interviews Anthony Callea about his new album release, Oh Oh Oh Oh.

1. OH BOY


For the first time, 28-year-old Anthony Callea sounds his age. New single Oh Oh Oh Oh is a party anthem written with DJ Poet (Black Eyed Peas). "I was writing R&B dance Euro stuff at 16," Callea says. "I still love ballads and pop, but this is what I'm enjoying now. If I don't do music I love, I can't expect anyone else to believe it."

2. AT THE END OF THE DAY


Callea is enjoying a musical challenge. "People say, 'It's so different to The Prayer, you've got such a big voice suited to the ballads'. This song is 10 times harder for me to sing than The Prayer. People underestimate well-produced, well-written pop/dance tracks. You have to think about your voice as an instrument."


3. DO IT YOURSELF


The former Idol is releasing his music independently. "The business model of the music industry has changed. There was no A&R guy ringing up producers saying, 'We need a track like this'. I had no restrictions. I swallowed my pride, I emailed producers myself to write with them when I went overseas. It's liberating."


4. CALLEA PTY LTD


Being his own boss is scary. "I'm my own travel agent, my own everything. You're calling the shots. It's like I'm running my own small business. You haven't got six-figure marketing budgets, but if you concentrate on the music, hopefully that speaks for itself."
Oh Oh Oh Oh is available October 7

'>http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/four-minutes-with-anthony-callea/story-e6frfn09-1226159586421#ixzz1ZwDGhK7D">

Picture: Manuela Cifra

No comments: